Eric Johnson

Updated
Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson has been such a major influence on my playing. I remember being at Berklee College and I had this small black and white TV set and I just couldn't dial anything but static, then all of a sudden this show comes fading in. I was mesmerized with the music I was hearing especially the guitar playing, the tone and textures were just simply beautiful. I had no clue to who I was listening to but it just sounded awesome. Finally towards the end of the show the credits roll and it was Eric Johnson. It must have been PBS broadcasting his Austin City Limits show, so I ran to the nearest record store to find his records and guess what.....Nothing! Nobody heard of him and I couldn't find anything about him not even at berklee. Then a few year's later something surfaced in Guitar Player magazine, do you remember those plastic tear out records? It was Cliffs of Dover and soon after that Ah Via Musicom was released. Ever since that day I first heard him I was just taken by how Beautiful this guy plays..... My personal favorites are Tones, Ah Via Musicom, Live from Austin,Texas (check out his explosive version of Trail Of Tears on that one). I love all his music so for me anything Eric Johnson is good.

Post to Thread